Saturday, September 15, 2012

Big Time At Big Spring

 
My dad loved small, out of the way geological places in Missouri: Pickle Springs, Berryman Trail, Ha Ha Tonka, Pilot Knob. He wouldn’t stop for any of us to use the restroom when traveling, but he would stop to show us roadside markers or unusual rock formations or historic places or lookout towers.
 
One of his favorite places is Big Spring, just outside the funky little town of Van Buren. As part of the Ozark National Scenic Waterway, there are lots of float rivers nearby, and we spent a few weekends there when I was a teenager. I’ve taken my own children there many times over the years, and I always drive the extra four miles to see the spring when I drive on Highway 60.
I was fortunate to be able to go a couple of weekends ago, on my way to see my dad. I wish he could have been there.
Here are some of the pictures.









1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pictures! Nice to tour a part of the country through your eyes that I will likely never visit! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...