Tuesday, May 8, 2012

I Love Boobies

Well, duh.

What I mean is, this fad was a clever and fun way to raise awareness about breast cancer. That’s all I’m saying.


When I first saw one of these bracelets, on my daughter’s wrist, I was confused. I’m ashamed to admit my first thought was the old Seinfeld joke, “If I had breasts, I wouldn’t get out of the shower.”

But my daughter explained, and I thought it was a good idea. As the I Love Boobies campaign  swept the country, or at least our area, I saw the bracelets everywhere.
The organization name – Keep A Breast – was clever, as well, and I hope it does “help eradicate breast cancer by exposing young people to methods of prevention, early detection and support.”
I hope it does, but I doubt it. Too often these types of displays – lapel ribbons, “Save The Whales” bumper stickers, POW/MIA buttons – are popular fads only, just for show, more for the wearer’s vanity rather than anything of substance.

Few of the kids wearing these Boobie bracelets learned anything about preventing breast cancer, I suspect. I think they just thought it was cool, funny, that saying “boobies” in public was suddenly socially acceptable.

I considered making a button that said, “I Loved Boobies Before Loving Boobies Was Cool,” but I chickened out. Kelly would have smacked me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...