Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Uexpected Pain In Unexpected Places


Lucy’s been gone more than a month, not long enough to remove the pain, but long enough that it is more of a dull and profound ache. Unfortunately, this misery is punctured with brilliant, piercing pain every time we find things she left behind.


I’ve taken most of her things downstairs, her highchair, her old walker, most of her books, her puzzles, some of her toys, the big things that hurt to look at. There are still a few things I’ve not yet taken down, like her bike and doll stroller (with Sally sitting right where she left her), because the pain of erasing traces of her all at once is too much. So, I take things away slowly, one at a time, when no one is looking, so we don’t all give in to prolonged bouts of open weeping.

But we still find Lucy in unexpected places, and the pain is fresh.

Her favorite little ball, a gift from her Uncle Danny, was under the ottoman, discovered while vacuuming.


Her favorite big ball, under her little table.




A little pink sock was in the couch cushions, along with one of her little bells, and another sock is tucked away behind the cake stands on one of the kitchen cabinets.

Her little bean bag bear was under a blanket. There was a pretty little pink hair pretty in the bathroom, the one she could never leave in more than a minute or two.

Her spoons were still in the silverware drawer.

There’s a too-small summer sandal on the back porch and a baby book in with the DVDs.


There are hundreds of teeth marks on Libby’s old crib that don’t belong to Libby.




Puzzle pieces, a favorite old cup one of the girls used and left out, all little pieces of Lucy.
Most of the memories are sweet, so bittersweet doesn’t really fit, but there is a lot of pain when they come unexpectedly like that. We probably will not get used to it.
Yes, of course, it is better to have loved and lost, and I know she is not lost, she’s just in California, which some say is about the same. I wouldn’t trade our time with her for anything, and any pain now is worth it. We just miss her, and hope she comes home soon.
You might mention that to her mom if you see her….








10 comments:

  1. Having just left little Will tonight, (one year old) toddling to catch the car and crying for me, I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want her to come home. ~Kelly

    unDeniably Domestic

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post. Now I am crying with you guys...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra. You know, it seems we would get over it one of these days, but we haven't yet. Thank goodness for smart phones is all I can say at this point.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. It is posts like this one that make me realize once again how very lucky I am to be only one mile from our granddaughter and to have a very strong relationship with my own daughter. I hope things get better. I hope for you that Lucy comes home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry, it has to be terrible! If ever I see her mom, I'll have a talk with her for sure. Thanks for linking at Grandparent's Say It Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie. Thanks.

      As it turns out, two days ago I opened a door in the children's bathroom closet, and there was a pile of Lucy's bath toys, right where she left them.

      And just today, I came home to my wife crying in our bathroom, because she had sorted a pile of clean winter clothes and found one of Lucy's bibs. She told me not to put it away with her other things.

      Delete
  6. I'm hoping Lucy is having a wonderful day, thinking happy thoughts, but planning to be home soon because she is missing a lot of love coming her way. May the love of this child and your wonderful memories provide comfort on this Father's Day and not additional pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, javonf. I appreciate the kind thoughts. Lucy is supposed to call later in the day, so we are looking forward to it.

      Delete
  7. It's so hard when they're far away, especially after having had them for an extended time. I'm sure she's remembering fondly all the kindness and love associate with you and your wife.

    When my grandsons leave, I find one of the hardest things to do is wash away all their handprints and kiss marks from the many full-length mirrors they enjoy looking in while at here. Many times I DON'T wash them—-until right before they visit again. :)

    Visiting from Grandparent's Say It Saturday link party. Would love to have you join us at the GRAND Social linky for grandparents: http://www.grandmasbriefs.com/home/2012/6/18/grand-social-grandparent-linky-june-18.html

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...