Saturday, March 17, 2012

Meat Free Monday: Two Outta Three Ain't Bad

I heard about Meat Free Monday because of its association with Paul McCartney and his daughters, but I joined because it seems like a good idea (and because Mary and Stella are just so darn cute). Plus, they have a cookbook.



McCartney is a long-time, sometimes militant vegetarian, so this seems a perfect vehicle for him. As it says on the MFM web site, “By giving up meat for one day each week you can save money, reduce your environmental impact and live a healthier life.”

Two out of three ain’t bad, as they say. A day without meat should be cheaper and eating less meat should be healthier, but I am less interested in any so-called environmental impact. I’ve had many students give speeches about the horrors of meat production and how it befouls the environment, but it doesn’t move me.

What concerns me about meat is that it is just gross with the chemicals used in getting meat to market. But I like meat, and don’t agree that a vegetarian diet is healthier. Giving it up for one day per week seems like a good thing to do.

Find out more here, and tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...