Saturday, March 3, 2012

Laughter Is Inner Jogging*


I went to a kid’s movie last night, just to listen to crowds of children laugh in unison. The movie, Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax, (in 3D at the IMAX, no less), was brilliant, but made delightful by our 7-year-old guest, Abbey. She laughed and squealed and oooohed and  jumped and cheered in all the right places, and constantly reached out to touch the 3D animals as they loomed toward us.

The last kid’s movie I saw, Hoodwinked, was hilarious, and there was plenty of raucous laughter throughout, especially at some of the slapstick scenes – people falling, squirrels smacking windshields of fast-moving cars, grannies getting wrapped up in parasails caught in ceiling fans. It was good, but I noticed I was the only one laughing at times. Amusing and clever dialogue gets me every time, and I love to laugh at words.

“Man is distinguished from all other creatures by the faculty of laughter.”
Joseph Addison


“You don’t stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing.”
Michael Pritchard


“The head thinks, the hands labor, but it’s the heart that laughs.”
Joseph Heller


*The title is a quotation from Norman Cousins , who, I’m sure, would suggest that you go out today and have yourself a good, belly-busting laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...