Monday, December 3, 2012

You Gotta Love A Good Movie, Which Is Why I Don’t Love The Breaking Dawn Saga

 
Last year, the girls dragged me out in the middle of the night for the opening of the new people turning into dogs movie, Breaking Wind. No, wait, that’s not right. Breaking Dawn. Sorry.

This year, Grace saw it with college friends, and Libby was out of town with her dad, so Aubrey and I went to see Dogs Into People, Part 2, just the two of us. This one was a better movie than the Part 1, but that’s like saying shooting yourself in the foot is better than shooting yourself in both feet.
 
When Libby came back, it turned out that she hadn’t seen the movie, like I thought she said she would, so she and Aubrey and I went back to the theater. Only Aubrey was excited about a second viewing. It was fun being with the girls, especially going out for doughnuts after, but I’m glad this is the last of the Twilight movies.
 
 
 
In the past two years, I’ve seen Breaking Dawn 1, Breaking Dawn 2 twice, and The Lorax (read about it here). So I’m not a big movie goer. Perhaps the reason is that the movies just don’t move me like they used to.
 

 
Years ago, I went with a buddy to see one of the Rocky movies, where Stalone fought the Russian. We were the last two people seated, back row, middle. The movie progressed like all the other Rocky movies, and everyone was caught up in the excitement when Rocky began his inevitable comeback. But no one more so than my friend, who, when Rocky finally delivered the telling blow, leaped to his feet, shook his fist at the screen and screamed, “Take that, you Commie fag.”
 
You gotta love a good movie.

1 comment:

  1. Like you I love films and like you I definitely find they don't move me like they used to.
    Overblown sex scenes, explosions and graphic violence can never beat good writing and acting!
    I had to laugh at your story about Rocky IV. As a child I got the bus into Manchester on a Saturday morning to watch that film. Nowadays my movie enjoyment is confined to DVDs and tv repeats of old movies.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...