Saturday, August 11, 2012

John Moe May Never Understand But The Star -Spangled Banner Moves Me

Like you, I like my country. I actually do pledge allegiance to the flag, because those words mean something to me. So does the national anthem.



I’ve volunteered at our local minor league baseball stadium this summer, working the concessions stands. We are swamped when the gates open at 6, but everything stops when that song starts at 7:05. I love to watch the crowd standing so still, many with hands across their hearts, mouthing the words, heads turned toward center field. Even the kids pay attention.



The volunteer singers always do an excellent job with the difficult tune, and I love how the power of the words and the emotion of the voices always wash over me. “… oh say does that star-spangled banner yet wave….”


Self-proclaimed liberals like John Moe may mock, deride, but the event always moves me. Perhaps we seem less indivisible these days, polarized by the press into red states and blue states, but I say we are united still. Our real differences are more minor than major. One trip to the ball park proves it.

1 comment:

  1. Well said, John! Living so close to 5 professional sports teams, we get quite lots of local TV coverage of games. My "complaint" of the local performances of the anthem are the renditions which stray so far from the written music. Although a difficult tune, it sounds best when sung as written (in my opinion!).
    Mary Ann in Livermore

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...