Sunday, November 4, 2012

Amy G: Sorry We Missed You In The Bass Pro Marathon

 
One of my best students, one of Ms. Anthony’s favorite students, ran by our house today in the Bass Pro Shops Marathon. We missed seeing her, probably because she was a front runner, and by the time we made it out to the sidewalk to cheer everyone on, they had been passing by for a while.

 
Neighbors clapped and cheered with each passing runner, which was fun. Many of the runners seemed to appreciate the applause, with a quick nod or wave, but just as many could only breathe heavily. We are just short of the 16-mile marker, so we felt sorry for them, knowing they still had 10 miles to go.
 
"Getting up early to make this sign was hard, too."
That made me laugh, but I'm not sure what the runners thought.
 
A surprising number of the runners were not, um, fit, shall we say. But there they were, running, so you have to admire and respect that. It made me think that I could do it, too, you know, start slowly, running a bit today, a bit farther tomorrow, a bit more the day after that. Then, by next November, there I’d be, flying by the house, waving at everyone, my first marathon.
So, I went in right away, and ate chocolate pie until the feeling passed.


2 comments:

  1. You guys are the best! I'm sorry I missed you, which is most likely what happened. I slowed way down around mile 8 due to a knee that didn't want to bend anymore, so I was having to walk a lot more than I anticipated, and I was stopping to stretch frequently by mile 12.
    I know for a fact, though, that the people you did cheer on loved it! It's the greatest thing to see strangers out cheering you on for this ridiculous thing you've decided to do. :)

    Thank you so much for being out there!

    Oh, and I'd be happy to help you start that marathon training, Mr. G. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Amy G., I've moved on from the notion of marathon training and have now decided to pursue my life-long dream of one day running my own cupcake shop. Or else cage wrestling. But the next time you run by the house, let us know.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...