Friday, February 24, 2012

The Saturday Side Show - Exercise


We can talk about life and happiness and family and fulfillment all we want, but it’s moot without good health. Ask anyone who hasn’t survived a stroke or a heart attack.

Part of our experience must be the realization that in the long run, health overrides all else, and that our commitment to maintaining good health is as vital as any endeavor, especially once we reach a certain age. Like 12.


Which brings us to The Saturday Side Show.

Every Saturday, I’ll post a message or two that will not stay strictly within the bounds of my personal experience, but will focus on health and physical well-being, diet and nutrition, family relationships, humor, and, maybe sometimes, spiritual fulfillment, from some of my favorite sources.

What better place to start than with exercise.


Exercise has seldom been part of my routine, because when you play basketball twice a week, tennis three times a week, ride a bike most days, there really isn’t time for exercise. But I’ve gotten away from it for a few years, and it’s time to start again.


My motivation is a wonderful book called Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain, by Dr. John Ratey, who says that the purpose of exercise is to keep our brains young and strong. Any benefit to the body is a mere side-effect.



Jim Rohn says that if you can’t do 5 pushups, do 1 until you can do 5. Then do 5 until you can do 10, and so on. I’m ashamed to admit that I can’t do 5 pushups. I can do 2, and it hurts both shoulders. But I’m going to do 1 until I can do more.

I’ll let you know when I hit 5 and then 10 and again when I reach 50.

Why don’t you pick an exercise goal and let us know how you do. Your brain and I will thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Here it is,Saturday, one week late, and I just did 5 push ups. Now I need a nap....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...